WELCOME!

WELCOME TO AVERAGE SIM'S BLOG. Posts for simmers by a simmer. Enjoy my reviews, pictures and randomness.

Saturday 1 March 2014

Q&A review: The Prism Art Studio

The Prism Art Studio was released as store content for February as part of the monthly trend of store releases. It is a venue for 1900 simpoints and comes with new premium content and a new skill. Is it worth the price of 1900 simpoints? What can I do with it? Is it simply just a modified art gallery? This review will hopefully answer all these burning questions and more.

For aesthetics this is definitely one of the top venues. 
What exactly is the Prism Art Studio? 

Basically it's exactly as the title says, an art studio. It has everything you would expect in an art studio such as easels, an art display area and it contains the new premium content: The Artisan's Glass Blowing and Jewelry Making Station. It also contains stained glass windows which kind of made simmers think this would be a church or something. I love the look of this venue. The Business As Usual Bistro and the Skylight Dance Studio are the best looking venues, in my opinion, but this comes very close! It fits perfectly in any setting and I loved how it showed off the objects (stained glass windows and L-Shaped stairs). It's a large lot (40X40) and it is packed with objects and beautiful architecture. I really like how the store team designed this one. I hardly changed anything except add the sculpting station from Ambitions to really make it very arty.

The venue itself has a lot of character. It seems like a factory-turned-art-studio. It's the perfect place for those rebel avant garde sims of yours.






This is soooo awesome!

What is the new Premium Content? 



The Artisan's Glass Blowing and Jewelry Making Station. Again it's as the name says. Your sim can make various kinds of jewelry, perfume and glass objects and it adds a new skill, (you guessed it) the Artisan Skill. As your sim progresses in the skill they can create more intricate pieces of jewelry, better glass objects and perfume that doesn't make your sim want to throw up. 






 Jewellery for men was lacking so I'm very glad they added in some male pieces too.



The only problem I have with the jewelry is that even though the male jewelry pieces are enabled for females, they end up looking like this. I don't know if it's just my game that does this or a weird glitch. 

floating neck pieces are so the style right now...
Your sim can also create various glass pieces and my favourites are the perfumes. I loved buying cologne in Sims 2 Nightlife and I'm glad it made a return in Sims 3. 


What other items are included with this venue? 

There aren't that many CAS items nor are there many build and buy objects. An artist's apron is included as an outfit for CAS. No new hairstyles and no new shoes. The jewelry makes up the bulk of CAS items. Build mode has the L-shaped Stairs as the main new content. This is an amazing additon to the game and will please many who have been asking for it. I'm not a builder but I was super excited for this item. The stained glass windows also add something the game has never seen before. I love them. They will look so perfect in Midnight Hollow! Buy Mode includes a few arty themed objects.





Is it worth it? 

NO!!!! Even as an arty sim loving person I'd have to say absolutely not. The objects are so beautiful and the premium content brings great things to the game but at 1900 simpoints (same price as a standard version of most store worlds) it is ridiculous. It was totally worth it to review this venue though. I had a lot of fun. The studio is stunning and it brings totally new options but not enough. Add in another skill, another premium content item, some more CAS items, hairstyles and more options for build or buy and then it will be worth 1900 simpoints. If you're not crazy about the art skill or not dying from lack of new content while the wait for sims 4 is on, then rather wait until the price is marked down. 

The best part of the venue? 

The actual venue. While the premium content was entertaining and a great idea I was bored after doing all I could possible do with it. Once again I will say that the venue is very well designed. I love it when the store builders show us how to use new items in our own venues by using it in the venue in such a creative way. I loved the art studio. It can be converted into so much: a bar, a hipster hangout, a performance venue, the possibilities are endless! 

The worst part of the venue?

Besides the obvious high price I would have to say the lack of items. I understand it's a venue and there's not not meant to be a whole lot more new items but at least add a few hairstyles and more exciting buy mode objects. The most exciting object was a basket full of photo frames. 



Overall Rating?

The actual studio impressed me. The objects were limited and average and the premium content isn't something to get totally hyped up about (even though I was at first). I actually love the once a month store release thing. It gives us (and our wallets) a chance to breathe between sets. Overall I would have to say that it passes as a decent store release. Not the most exciting but the content compliments many expansions and brings something completely unique to the game. 

RATING: 2.5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts