WELCOME!

WELCOME TO AVERAGE SIM'S BLOG. Posts for simmers by a simmer. Enjoy my reviews, pictures and randomness.

Sunday 18 January 2015

The Sims 4: Outdoor Retreat Review


Outdoor Retreat, the first (probably of many) game packs to be released in the Sims 4 series. Sending your virtual people to the virtual outdoors sounds like a lot of fun (since you're probably not very outdoorsy, hence why you're reading a Sims review). I was extremely excited because we haven't had any new additional content, aside from the wonderful game updates, for the Sims 4. The new concept of "Game Pack" is a series first and I was looking forward to the new form of content but mostly I just wanted new stuff for my game. 

The theme of the game pack appealed to me very much because of good experience with The Sims 3: World Adventures and The Sims 2: Bon Voyage. I love my sims. In particular, I love my Sims 4 sims and buying a game pack so they can enjoy a vacation away from the vacation, that is their everyday lives, sounded like a good plan. 





The Price: $19.99 USD or your currency equivalent. The same price as a Sims 3 stuff pack except that this has a whole lot more stuff. New gameplay options, a new skill, new plants, recipes and new interactions. A lot of value if you ask me. 

Let's get started: I headed to CAS (create-a-sim) to see the new clothes and new hairstyles this game pack added and I must say I was thoroughly impressed. Tons of new camping-themed options for males and females. The CAS options were even more than in most Sims 3 stuff packs! I loved all the clothes and especially the new hairstyles, with these two being my faves for males and females respectively.: 


After having outfitted my sims in ridiculous camping gear, I headed out to the world of Granite Falls. 


The map of Granite Falls, the new neighbourhood added, seemed a bit small at first, with only a few lots to visit, but as I played on,  I would soon realise that my first impression of it was wrong and each venue houses huge forests which my sims frequently got lost in. You can camp or rent out lodging.


The detail of the forests and campsites pleasantly surprised me. It gave off a creepy haunted forest atmosphere which I loved! 


Beautiful for those who love fishing

Kind of creepy at night



This thing creeped me out the most.

The hidden forest which you discover by going through an obvious secret entrance.

The not-so-hidden entrance. I found it exploring the forest the first time.
Inside the Deep Forest was a hermit who was surprisingly friendly.




The New Stuff: Oh how I love new content, especially when there's a whole lot of it! 

New camping objects



New recipes



 New Plants and the new herbalism skill which now allows you to identify the new unidentified plants and brew herbal remedies and mixtures.





The awesome new addition of insects!


And not to mention the addition of new fish, wallpapers, flooring, furniture, new sculptures available at the woodworking table and new interactions. My favourite of which is star/cloud gazing.

I also love the new campfire interactions.




Oh and I forgot to mention the super adorable bear costumes. I would have preferred a real bear but this is a cute alternative.

There are a lot of neat little details that I love. Such as when your sims tells a ghost story at night, a ghost appears. I hadn't read about this beforehand and was quite shocked the first time.


And I love the detail of the woodland creatures. You can't pet them or anything but they're cool to see.


Overall this game pack surprised me and I would certainly rate it above a lot of the full expansion packs from the Sims 3. This is true value for money (something rarely said these days). I can't tell you how glad I am that the system of simponts seems to be gone. I prefer purchasing digital content from Origin although I would have loved a physical copy of this game pack. The amount of content added is unbelievable and I'm still enjoying this to the max. I was doubting buying this gamepack, but now I know that small bit of doubt was for nothing.

 A brilliant start to the many Sims 4 add-ons we're going to get. I look forward to the next.

RATING: 4.5/5 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts